Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Industrial Cables for Refinery

I still remember when I was a process engineer in my first working week, I attended an in-house training about "High Voltage" in our refinery. It was presented by my colleague whom is a "charge man" (a person who is a competent person handling industrial scale power/electricity (3 phase) and other electrical power related stuffs). From there, I learned that a refinery must have reliable power supplier, equipments, facilities and expert people such as charge man and qualified technicians to manage the power and control part of a refinery.

Among the fundamental element to this is the industrial cables. I still recall on the second floor of the control room of the refinery that I was in charged last time, there were numerous cables with various sizes, shapes, colour and quality. All this cables are imperative in connecting various digital input (DI), digital output (DO, analog input (AO), analog output (AO) signals to controllers/servers/power system such as Yokogawa and Siemens as well as cable for inverters and electrical current. Well, there were many more to this which I am not really an expert to share in depth about this. All of this aspect was often over looked by person like me (chemical engineer) because that time, I was mainly focus on process engineering part. In conjunction to that, I think it would be great to share briefly about industrial cables used in plants and refineries.

Numerous cables for variety of industries

Actually, industrial control cables such as the one available in my plant are just one of the different types of them which are used in modern industry. There are a wide range of them required by various industries including automotive, data transmission, information technology, telecommunications, data communication distribution, construction, military, mining, and many more. Companies dealing with them provide state of the art sophisticated technology in manufacturing and exporting cables of various designs and capabilities.

Types of cables

Among the different types of them are electrical control wire, fiber optic ones, house wiring ones, PVC ones, rubber ones, fire survival ones, instrumentation ones and control ones among others. There are leading industrial cable companies which design, develop, market and distribute copper, aluminum, fiber optic wire and cable products for energy, industrial, specialty and communication markets. Among them is Eland Cables. Companies like this offer great quality, distribution, logistics and operating efficiency. They have a global reach in the wire and cable industry. No Matter where you are in the world, they provide a product that more than meets worldwide standards. Their research and product range is formidable and their products only seem to be improving.

Each cabling product is manufactured to the highest standards using sophisticated technology to match international standards. Cables are manufactured to customer specific designs and requirements. High quality materials are used to ensure functionality and durability. Cables are manufactured to suit customer specific environments.

Saying all that, I think as a chemical engineer, we still need to know at least a little bit about all this types and uses of cables. I did my part when I assisted in the upgrading of the control power system in my plant. From that point, I appreciated the knowledge I obtained about this inter-engineering discipline. What about you?

Highly Recommended Reading Material

To learn more about industrial cable or information related to cables, I strongly suggest you to get hold of this following free magazine. Cabling Installation & Maintenance magazine delivers in-depth technical and business information to network and data center structured cabling professionals each month. For almost 20 years, they have delivered trusted and unbiased information focused exclusively on the needs of decision makers for cabling-related products and services at end-user, contractor, integrator and carrier organizations. If you are interested to get this magazine at no cost, click here.


posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 9:33 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip