Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Being Well Informed

As an engineer, one of the most important skills necessary is the art of being well informed. We must always be aware of everything that is going on inside our zone and our area of responsibility. We don’t want to be the last to know about any occurrence. We don’t want to be alerted about any problem by our superior. If that happens, it simply means that we are not carrying our job as an excellent engineer and care the least about our responsibilities.

Sometimes it makes us look better if we pretend to know about the problem in front of our boss when asked. However, the cover up must be good and we better get the answer right. I remembered when I started working few years back, my boss asked me about the status of our shell and tube heat exchanger cleaning in progress (CIP), and I answered him. That time, I pretended to know what he was asking and answered him, hoping that my answer was OK. Unfortunately, he scolded me and said to my face that I don’t know what I was talking about. Then he went away, obviously pissed off with me. Since then, I tried to know and learn as fast as possible. I must always be ready and able to answer any questions thrown to me by my boss.

Labels:

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 12:19 AM,

2 Comments:

At Friday, March 09, 2007, Blogger zura said...

You must know every little bit of your plant now, right. No wonder your mobile will ring at 6.30am every morning...just to update the status of your plant by the operators.

 
At Friday, March 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, not all yet. It's a big plant and there are still a lot to learn. I love the learning process. I learn something every day. And now, I'm sharing some of the knowledge and experience with my readers...he he...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip