Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Vegetable Oil - Food or Fuel - The Future

I have been reading few articles in the past few days relating to oil/fuel. While there's some hope and potential of the vegetable oil like soy bean, rape seed, palm oil, jatropa, and others to be converted as fuel, they are also well known establish food resources. And now, it depends on the world, or maybe to narrow it down, politician rather than scientist to decide on the priority between food or fuel. It will be a lengthy discussion and debate. And perhaps, it's going to be a difficult and tough issue. All of this, a direct result of the depletion of fossil fuel. The reserve which might last for maybe 20-30 or 40 years more, has created staggering urgency to seek renewable energy resources. And as thinking people, we keep thinking and wandering about it....because i believe that vegetable oil will have certain role in the fuel market demand.

In conjunction with that, I was wandering to get some piece of land and plant them with the likes of palm oil and sugar cane mainly because the huge potential of profit that i can gain later. I know, if i have some 10 - 20 acres of land planted with those crops, i can channel them into a variety of products. I can make massive fortune from it, and expand it further from there. Because of that too, i'm slowly learning the kitchen scale biodiesel process....ha ha....

While I was wandering and experimenting the theoretical part of converting used cooking palm oil to diesel, i was struck with the information that the fossil fuel reserve in America is substantially huge. The reserve is more than what the midde east are having now. If I recall correctly, the fossil reserve is about 3 trillion barrels or probably more, and can ensure continuous supply of petroleum (gasolline/diesel/etc) for another 500 years!!!

After reading that, I thought again, what the heck are we doing cracking our head and brain cells to think and develop the biodisel/biofuel industry/technology after knowing that there are a lot of black gold underneath Colarado, USA!!! Opss....ok...at least for the sake of knowledge and new tech.

With this piece of information....for me......there would be NO MORE ISSUE of vegetable oil debate: Food or Fuel....at least for the next 500 years!!!!

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 10:49 PM,

3 Comments:

At Saturday, October 14, 2006, Blogger Joe Anybody said...

by chance do you have the link or information that changed your mind. I am curious of the information you read from your source and I would like to read more. I realize I could goggle the topic but after reading your blog, I thought I could go right to your source if you still had it handy?
Thanks - I enjoy reading your posts!

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

You can check out this site:

www.DailyWealth.com/Oil_Report

I hope you can open it. But, i have interesting new input on this issue after some discussion with an Endress + Hauser Manager from the States which happen to be in my country.

I'll share some of our discussion as well. Maybe tomorrow or day after tomorrow...

Your blog is very interesting as well. Which background are you from?

 
At Saturday, October 14, 2006, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

Joe, sorry about the previous link. This is the correct link. You must reg your email than they'll send you the report.

http://www.dailywealth.com/signups/SDW_oil.asp?scode=XVVDW011&gclid=CLG30NTX9ocCFU5dDgodJnexxA

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip