Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



My Production and Process Engineering Duties

It's May and I have to prepare the monthly production report for April as fast as possible. I don't want to delay them anymore and make others' suffer waiting. I'm trying my best to work smart and systematic.

Today, I was presented with a practical student (chemical engineering course) from a local university for me to guide. He'll be around for the next 9 weeks. I'll be exposing him to the plant processes, processing parameters (steam, electricity, water, air, bleaching earth etc), supporting units (such as boiler, cooling tower, heat exchanger etc), oil quality monitoring and testing and much more. I introduced him to the morning shift and gave him a short basic tour in the plant. Then I left him in the control room for him to interact with the supervisor and operators (having some informal learning process). I also gave some 15 minutes short basic on-site practical explanation on various types of valves (ball valve, butterfly valve, globe valve etc).

Related post about valve: Butterfly Valve

My manpower is another area that really concerns me. Unacceptable disciplinary problems from few operators made me very irritated! I don't understand why they treat their rice bowl lightly?!! I have given some short verbal talk and advice to related person. If the problem continues, I shall introduce some harsh action, possibly a "warning letter" or "domestic inquiry". I hate to do this, but this is really part of my job as a process engineer. As engineer we do not just take care of those technical and report stuff, but social - manpower issue as well.

Some of them expressed their dissatisfaction after receiving their bonus and annual salary appraisal letter. Some of them smiled. I can guarantee those who diligently work and maintain excellent disciplinary record a good increment next year. I'll do my best to fight for those who deserve.

Enjoyed this post? Subscribe to CHEMICAL ENGINEERING WORLD by email.
Or you can also
Subscribe to CHEMICAL ENGINEERING WORLD by RSS.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 11:33 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip