Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Resign Peacefully

As some of you have noticed, I have resigned from my job as a process engineer last June. Since then, I have set few targets to be achieved in my professional career as an engineer (in the academic line). Among the target is for me to be a professional engineer. I have registered with Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM) and Institution of Engineers, Malaysia (IEM). However, after meeting my mentor last week, I was informed by him that my log book record is missing something. I did not get my previous job record verified by my superior. I need to the signature and stamp of my ex-boss. I totally missed that. All this while I thought that I only need my mentors signature and stamp.

That's fine. I need to contact my ex-boss. I have mixed feeling before contacting him. What if he decline to approve my previous job activities? I called him and he asked me to email the job record. 36 hours after that he replied my email and after a series of email, he asked me to come and meet him the following day. To cut the long story, and to make it short, I finally got my ex-boss verification and I'm very delighted. I really appreciate my ex-boss time and effort to assist and support me. Now, I need to compile and get my job record for this year and submit them to IEM.

What's the morale of the story here? Of course there are few but for me, there is one significant morale that I want to share...

If you want to resign, then resign in a good manner.

Resign peacefully. Off course I felt uncomfortable informing my ex-boss that I want to resign. However, after explaining my reasons and my ambition, he understood and respect my decision. All my friends in my previous work place were very supportive. They know that I'm going to have a better career. After leaving the company, I still continue good relationship with all levels of staff from my ex-company. I established some kind of informal collaboration with my former company and I hope it can benefit both parties.

We never know when we need a favour from them. Like me, I turned to my ex-boss and ask a favour from him. What if I resigned in bad manner? What if I resigned and my ex-boss hated me? Definitely the job record verification process will be a "mission impossible" process... Then, to solve the problem, I might do something that may not be ethical. In other words, chances for me doing a "don't" in the engineering ethics is high! Then everything will not be right. Everything will be totally wrong. We need to do it the right way everytime. We need to maintain our good reputation. Engineer need to be a reliable and trusted person, not a man with illusion. Just be honest and be good.

Leaving good reputation with your ex-company will make you special. You'll be welcomed any time you return. Isn't that great. I easily entered the company premises and various level of staffs called and waved at me. I chatted with them, asking how they are doing and other catching up talks. My fellow friends, supervisor, security guards, supervisors, technician, fitters, canteen lady etc greeted me with cheer and asked how I was doing in my new career. That's really a good feeling... What about you...? Any experience you would like to share?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Get FREE Technical Magazines - Chem-Eng.Tradepub.com.

>> Join Chemical Engineer Rocks FACEBOOK Group...

>>>Apply Chemical Engineering Jobs online - Updated daily... :)

Be the best chemical engineer you could be. Learn something about chemical engineering that's not inside your textbook. Subscribe to the content of this blog.

Labels: , ,

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 10:07 PM,

8 Comments:

At Wednesday, November 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi.. I just did the right thing as you... trying pursue master in chemical engineering.. i hope i could contact you through email... Thx

 
At Wednesday, November 19, 2008, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

Sure no problem. Just drop me an email

 
At Thursday, November 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yanwarizal@yahoo.com
Thx

 
At Thursday, November 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

berenti dan mengajar pedih dia x sama macam berenti kerana mendapat gaji yag lagi tinggi dari bos kita kat kompeni lain. Bos nak layan pon rasa malas...klu senyum pon buat2 je.
Mcm contoh kat loji aku, mamat tu brenti dengan cara baik, tp dia dapat keje kat kompeni power dgn gaji besar. Bos buat x peduli je kat mamat tu bila dia datang nak mintak tolong.

 
At Friday, November 21, 2008, Blogger MC95 said...

good luck with your goals - just took my PE test!

 
At Friday, November 21, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck with your career.

 
At Friday, November 21, 2008, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

Anonymous,

Yes, it maybe a different situation. Sometimes it depend on several factors including relationship and luck... I wish the best for you and your friend.

Sam Jacoby,

Thanks. Mine will be around early 2010 if everything is enough. Maybe you can share your experience on your recent PE test. I really hope you can share them with me and the rest. We want some tips from you...

Baley,

Thanks a lot.

 
At Wednesday, December 03, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Are you interested in getting a banner/ header/ logo/ template/ business cards/ mascot designs / directory or article submissions, for your site for no money, in return we require text links from your site http://chem-eng.blogspot.com. Approaching you through this form since I could not find out the email address. Please get back to me if you are interested.

Name: Joe Nathan
Email: joenathanls@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip