Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Hi! I just stop a while telling my experience as a chemical engineering student. If i keep on writting about that, then i guess everybody will get bored. So, I will alternate my post....something a little technical and some of my experiences....

BIODIESEL BASICS I....

Since the biodiesel concept was introduced sometime ago, many researches were carried out to study the feasibility of this spectacular idea. Some countries in Europe has already attempted and succesfully implemented the biodiesel technology. My country, Malaysia has also indulged in the research activities and is now actively encouranging private sectors and palm oil company to develop biodiesel plant.

When I was doing my masters, a friend of mine, Pidun, was doing a research related to palm oil. To be exact, the research was about "palm oil conversion to gasoline via catalytic cracking using modified zeolite ZSM-5 catalyst". At that time I was developing another research which was "Natural gas conversion to gasoline via one step process using modified ZSM-5 catalyst". Well, my research is nothing to do with any bio"fuel" concept. It's purely converting fossiel fuel from one group of hydrocarbon to the another lengthy group of hydrocarbon. But, that time, i have already thought that palm oil is going to be a great potential in the energy world market, because it is a renewable energy.

Now, the phrase "biodiesel" can be heard anywhere and everwhere in this industry. What is so great about biodiesel? What is Biodiesel? How is it made? From my interaction with some people, many do not understand what actaully is biodiesel.....I'll briefly explain about biodiesel...in this post and also in the coming post....

What is biodiesel?

Biodiesel is the name of a clean burning alternative fuel, produced from domestic, renewable resources. Biodiesel contains no petroleum, but it can be blended at any level with petroleum diesel to create a biodiesel blend. It can be used in compression-ignition (diesel) engines with little or no modifications. Biodiesel is simple to use, biodegradable, nontoxic, and essentially free of sulfur and aromatics.

How is biodiesel made?

Biodiesel is made through a chemical process called transesterification whereby the glycerin is separated from the fat or vegetable oil. The process leaves behind two products -- methyl esters (the chemical name for biodiesel) and glycerin (a valuable byproduct usually sold to be used in soaps and other products).

Let's continue later.....in my next posts.....

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 12:15 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip