Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Plant Shut Down Day 3

Today, the shutdown job for is described as less head ache. Everything seems to run smooth. Thank God. Everybody knows what to do.

Only one thing that made me shock in the early hours (6am). My operator called & told me that pressure for HP boiler hydro test has reached 52 bar. The water feed pump has been stopped. However, the pressure keeps on increasing gradually. I already instructed them to control the pressure between 50 – 60 bar. The increasing pressure worried me. I don’t want the pressure to reach above 70 bar without enough manpower observing the situation. After thinking, I called and instructed him to monitor the pressure closely. If the pressure exceeds 67 bar, slightly open/throttle the venting so that the pressure would not increase. I choose 67 bar simply because the HP boiler always run between 64-66 bar. Therefore, it will still be safe to operate or control the pressure at 67 bar.

The plant operators informed me that the increasing pressure might be the affect of conducting the hydro test and the “shell tube - cleaning in progress (CIP)” at the same time. The CIP temperature is maintained at 80oC. The heat from the CIP have exerted some pressure into the other activity, which is the hydro test. This is because, in normal plant operation, very hot water from the HP boiler will transfer heat with oil in the shell tube heat exchanger. Therefore, we cannot do the hydro test. We have to give way for the CIP first. Then only we can proceed with hydro test to avoid the pressure build up as earlier.

Labels:

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 1:29 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip