Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



100th Posts in Chem-Eng World talks about Chlorophyll

I can't believed that it's already my 100 posts inside this blog within a space of 5 months. Well, I hope i can continue posting some good chemical engineering stuff.

Few days ago, I have a meeting with a bleaching earth supplier, Taiko Clay. We have some technical discussion. I found that the discussion was very interesting and getting very technical as well. One of the interesting point that caught my attention was chlorophyll, which is always associated with plants. Chloropyll is also one of the impurities inside the crude palm oil (CPO). Before this i never know the chemical formula and structure of chlorophyll. I also did not know there are various types / forms of chlorophyll: ie. chloropyll a; b etc.I did not know that there is magnesium inside chlorophyll!!!

Therefore, I would like to share some piece of info that I picked up that day.

chlorophyll a (′klör·ə′fil ′ā)

C55H72O5N4Mg A magnesium chelate of dihydroporphyrin that is esterified with phytol and has a cyclopentanone ring; occurs in all higher plants and algae.




chlorophyll b (′klör·ə′fil ′bē)

C55H70O6N4Mg An ester similar to chlorophyll a but with a CHO substituted for a CH3; occurs in small amounts in all green plants and algae.



Read more about chlorophyll from wikipedia
Read more about chlorophyll from Answers.com

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 10:28 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip