Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Heavy Rain & Flood Impact To The Industry

It's still raining today. The rain keeps on pouring, heavily. The state/country is currently hit with one of the worse flood in history. Luckily my house and the surrounding area is not flooding. However, it gave a significant impact to my work. Not just when I go or return back from work, water clogging (minor flood), very bad traffic jammed, a lots of hole on the road, some damage to vehicles etc; it also force us (my company) to be prepared for a plant shutdown, simply becausethe crude palm oil (CPO) supply shortage.

We never expected such scenario to occur. Due to heavy rain, a lot of palm oil plantations was badly affected by the flood. Hundreds of workers associated to palm oil harvesting and milling could not go to work. CPO Tanker could not reach us because the road structure collapsed. We have a serius shortage of CPO. Most of our CPO tanks in the factory are empty. If the CPO run out, we have to stop the plant!!! We cannot blindly and easily stop the plant just like that. Therefore, we have to take the opportunity to perform any maintenance work. That's why now I'm quite busy alongside with my colleague preparing for the shutdown. I also have to carry the umbrella everywhere...


Not just that, the CPO price has already escalated to nearly about RM2000 per metric tonne (that's about US$570/tonne). I could not recall the price rised up that high in the past.

For more pictures showing the floods, you can click at my personal blog here.

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 11:06 PM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip