Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Actual Working Hours

For your information, my official working time is from 8.30 am to 5.30 pm with lunch break interval from 1.00 to 2.00 pm. But, I normaly go home between 6.00 - 7.00 pm and hopefully reach home within an hour or more.

Within this limited space of time, I will try and do as much work as I can. However, there are two activities that further minimize and reduce my working time. The first one is "meeting" and the second is "interacting with suppliers". Let me reveal today as an example...

Everyday (including today), I have a minimum of 2 meetings which are held from 9.30 - 10.00 am (Maintenance/Project Meeting) and 11.30 am -1.00 pm (Production/Coordination Meeting). Total time spent for those meetings = 2 hours. That's why sometimes when my wife called, I have to say: "I'm in a meeting, I'll call you back later, honey..."

Upon reaching 1.00 pm, I'll have a break. This is my free time where I'll spend it either for lunch or short nap or surfing for info in the internet. Today, I did some surfing.

After lunch break, a supplier supplying filter sock came and met me. We talked and discussed few things regarding the filter sock problem and solution. Frankly speaking, I don't really know about filter sock. Therefore, anything that came out from the suppliers mouth, I just absorb it.

Later, another supplier selling bleaching earth came and beg us to purchase the product from him. We have not been ordering his bleaching earth since last November and he claimed that his business is geting from bad to worse. We have our reasons for not ordering the bleaching earth.

Meeting those 2 suppliers already cost me another 2 hours where I resumed working at 4.00 pm hours. Let me just simplify the situation:

Total official working hour = 8 hours
Time spent for meeting = 2 hours
Time spent meeting with suppliers = 2 hours
Balance time to do other work (preparing report(s), scheduling, inventory, monitoring plant and oil quality, phone calls, communicating with downlines etc) = 4 hours

To tell you the truth, 4 hours are sincerely not enough to do or complete the jobs. That's why most of the time I have to go back late. But I don't want to go back very late because the rate of work productivity has decrease. And I leave 50 km from my work place.

Labels: , ,

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 8:42 PM,

6 Comments:

At Friday, March 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you enjoy your job as an engineer?

 
At Friday, March 02, 2007, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

Thanks for such a good (and others can learn as well) question...I'm answering them in my post.

TQ

 
At Wednesday, February 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is your job fun or is it boring

 
At Wednesday, February 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is working as a chemical engineer worth all the school

 
At Wednesday, February 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do u travel alot

 
At Wednesday, February 04, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous...

Good interesting question you have there....
My job is challenging and exciting.
Yes, it's worth the chemical engineering degree you went through before.
For this job mentioned in this post, I don't travel a lot. However, I travel extensively when I was a project engineer with an oil and gas servicing company. I enjoy that job better then this in terms of traveling and financial rewards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip