Happy New Year. GoodBye 2009
Friday, January 01, 2010
Happy Prosperous New Year to Chemical Engineering World readers... :)
2009 has left us and 2010 are welcoming us. How was your 2009? Was it good?
For me, similar as other years, I experienced a lot of things in 2009. It has been a prosperous year for me in chemical engineering context. OK, let me just list down some of the highlights of myself in 2009 without any particular sequence:
- I registered as a full time Ph.D student of Chemical Engineering in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- I completed my first consultancy job, a simple one but well, it was such a rewarding experience completing it.
- I handled my second consultancy job as a coordinator, and the project is almost ending.
- I handed over my professional engineer training job record to IEM for the 2nd time.
- I contributed a chapter in the Yellow Pages Energy guide.
- I submitted a paper to be presented in ESTEC 2009, but unfortunately I did not attend it because I thought it was going to flood in Trengganu.
- I submitted and presented a technical paper in RCSSST 2009, Penang.
- I attended a very interesting symposium in Singapore - Symposium of Catalysis.
- I gave away free information, free ebook on Choosing Alternative Fuels. If you have not get it, you can get it on the right sidebar of this blog. It is a very informative ebook and I hope you'll get maximum benefit from it.
- I supervised 3 undergraduate students and all of them have successfully delivered their thesis. I have learned and experience a lot while supervising them.
- I received my first research grant, after numerous attempt of research proposal submissions. It was such a motivational boost for me. Although the money was not that much, but I can now run my Ph.D with my own research money.
- I hosted Prof. Abdol Hussain Jahanmiri from Shiraz University, Iran. He was on sabbatical leave and was with our research group, CREG.
- I assisted to built a plant model of EFB to Biodiesel.
- I was surprisingly elected as the President for Post Graduate Society, Faculty of Chemical and Natural Resources Engineering Faculty for the 2009/2010 session.
- I've participated in the Gas Chromatography calibration in my research group.
- I'm currently preparing my Ph.D proposal for my first stage examination. I hope to complete them as soon as possible.
- I hunted for quartz tube reactor which is the heart of my research.
That was to name a few of the activities or highlights of my chemical engineering career for 2009. As for 2010, I'm planning several targets too. Here are some of them:
- To publish 3 papers in impact factor journals.
- To publish 3 papers in international conferences.
- To publish a book chapter.
- To prepare a better report for my training log book to be a professional engineer.
- To prepare report for my final project paper for my professional engineer assessment next year (2011).
- To register myself with 2 professional bodies which are DOE and MSET.
- To prepare report for my quest to be chartered engineer under IChemE.
- To learn modeling and simulation using Matlab software.
How about you? Do you want to share your plans or targets for 2010? I would like to read your goals for this new year. Please write it down in the comment section.
Again... I wish all of you a happy new year and may you achieve success in your career/studies... :)
Oh... here is a video I would like to share with you. It shows how a female engineer works in a plant. She share her experiences. Though it's a brief video, but I believe this video is good for present female engineer to view.... Check it out.
FREE Recommended magazines to get you updated with current engineering news
posted by zaki yamani @ 6:21 PM,
Links to this post:
I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!