Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



A Message From A Future Chemical Engineer

Since I started this blog in July 2006, I have received a lot of interesting comments and emails. Some asked general chemical engineering questions while a few others asked a more detail technical questions. I'm so busy but I try to answer all of the questions if I know the answer. I'm very sorry if I miss out answering some of emails or comments.

I thought of sharing some of the questions with all of you for the benefit of all of us. A few days ago, I received a comment from one of my recent post entitled I Resigned From My Engineering Job. The commenter name is Archana Khode and he is from India. Archana, I hope you don't mind me sharing you comment here... :) . The following is purely the comment without me editing it.

"hi I m an indian and i'll be starting my B.E> che engg, in about a few days time (22nd aug). im really excited and frankly i hav no idea what will be required of me during that time. i really look forward to it.

I wanted to be a chemical engg. since a very long time and getting it makes it sort of dream come true. actually my father kept telling me to do ENTC(electronics and tele comm. engg) but i m really glad i didn't get that.

I was really inspired by your persona the way u told everything about your job and everything. i really wish even i can be as successful as you were with your life. for what u had said i could make out u had done your master's also. (Is it really necessary to do masters to be an established engineer?.) well i love studing and i don't even mind doing even PhD. My mom says try to study as much as you can.

I saw the syllabus ( che engg. Of course) and what i can make out is that its a bit difficult. pls help me . though i m really excited i m also very tense, i have no idea, no idea at all what i really have to do. so pls help me in any way u can.

In India there's a lot of competition, because every one wants to excel in life really badly and the result of that is- really high cut-offs for the top institutions. and not to forget tuffest paper for the entrances. so it really is a headache. now if i have to think of doing my masters( PG), u wont believe i have to start thinking and planning from today itself as we will be required to attend entrance tests (which is called GATE) to get admission in top post graduate colleges which are of course the IITs. This time i could not make it to the IITs ( even at graduate level they are the best , actually they are best in everything , they are like Harvard or Stanford for Indians and at graduate level the entrance tests for IITs are exclusive and are called IIT-JEE and unfortunately forget about making it into their extended merit list ,I just couldn’t even qualify for it . sad. Well I made it through AIEEE though not at national level but at least at state level my rank was 8452. Hey that ranks good O.K. not good enough but at least O.K. imagine 2 lakh students sat for that exam from my state itself and in all about 8 lakh my ranking at all India i.e. national level was 1 lakh something) but i have promised my mom that i will give everything that i have to get to the IITs.

{ IITs- Indian institute of technology AIEEE- All India Engineering Entrance Examination IIT-JEE - Indian institute of technology - Joint entrance Examination (we have 7 IITs) }
I’m doing my BE from university of PUNE (bet u haven’t heard of it, but its very much reputed in India) but below IITs ofcourse.

It was nice talking to you just like pouring my heart out. I really hope u reply to me.
Al l the best for your future endurances. Bye.."

Now I'm going to answer the questions in the long comment.

Question: Is it really necessary to do masters to be an established engineer?

My answer: No. It is not necessary to a masters degree. An undergraduate degree is sufficient for you to be an excellent chemical engineer. However, I would recommend you to associate yourself with professional institution such as Institute of Chemical Engineers (IChemE), or American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChemE) and follow their continuous development program. You will learn a lot of essential knowledge and skills which will equip you to become a professional or corporate engineer. For the sake of my readers located in Malaysia, you can join Institute Engineer Malaysia (IEM) Chemical Engineering Division and follow the training program to be a professional engineer.

However, there's no harm pursuing your masters or pH.D degree. It all depends on your ambition. You or anyone else are welcome to discuss the career options ahead of you in case you need my opinion. I'll try to provide an honest advise based on my experience. The final decision will still be yours... :)

Question: I saw the syllabus (che engg. Of course) and what i can make out is that its a bit difficult. pls help me . though i m really excited i m also very tense, i have no idea, no idea at all what i really have to do. so pls help me in any way u can.

My answer: chemical engineering is one of the most difficult engineering course (and I'm glad I have passed through it!!!). Well, it is not as difficult as you thought. All you have to do is listen to what your lecturers tentatively and make sure you understand what you are being taught. Some of the subjects are inter related and you need to have good basic comprehension on the fundamental subjects. Later, if you have specific questions, feel free to shout (email) and I'll try my best to help you out. At the same time, I'm going to rectify my forum and it will be better to post the questions there. More people can view and perhaps help to answer as well.

Archana, thanks for sharing your stories and what you feel. I really appreciate it very much. I wish you all the best in your studies and future.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Convert You Car To Burn Water + Petrol = Double Your Mileage!
High Conversion, Few Refunds, Due To Huge Demand: Soaring Gas Prices Compel People To Save Gas!!! Popular D.i.y Watercar: Run Your Car Partially On Water, Reduce Emissions/Global Warming! Practical Free Energy Based On 1000s Of Real Cars Worldwide!!!

Do you like to receive FREE Technical and Engineering magazines? If YES, check out Chem-Eng.Tradepub.com.

Join Chemical Engineer Rocks FACEBOOK Group...

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 9:54 PM,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, October 02, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I feel bad to ask a question and not be able to provide a favor in return... Maybe I can send baked goods or something... :) I am a chemistry major with a biology minor and biochemistry emphasis. Despite this, I only have a BA degree (I am 8 credits short of the chemistry degree because I was dreading physical chemistry back in school and did not want to delay finishing my degree - bad decision). After researching (mainly cancer/biology-related) for one year and tango-ing in the business world a little bit, I am looking now at the future, and feel that chemical engineering is a good route. But, I am not sure how many chemists go back to add the engineering and other thermodynamic classes involved. I was wondering if you could comment on my situation and please let me know what you think. In high school, I was planning to do engineering and was on a robotics team. But, over time, the health field appealed to me. Right now, I work with engineers, but in a perfunctory role. I like a professional environment, but I desire to use more of my education in my line of work (I work in an office currently). Thank you very much for reading this message. I wish you the best.

 
At Sunday, November 08, 2009, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks. I really appreciate it. Hoep you find my blog useful... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip