Featured FREE Resource:

Chemical Engineering World

Sharing Chemical Engineer's Challenging, Exciting, Interesting and Stimulating Life...



Engineer Train Engineer - What is the Benefit?

In a space of 3 months, I taught and trained 2 new graduated chemical engineers about my physical refining plant. As a person in charge of the plant, I thought I already know everything about my plant. However, having those 2 new engineers really tested my real understanding of my own plant.

The two of them were fresh graduates and they haven't seen or experienced being in a plant before. So, they were very curious about the plant, its process, equipments, vessels, PID drawing and a lot more. I explained to them the process involved in the plant step by step with reference to the plant PID drawing. As I went through the initial stage i.e. from the storage tank, then to a pump, strainer, heat exchanger and so on... both of them (in different occasions) tentatively listen and made notes. Then we went through the Niagara filters, filters bags, filter cartridges.... and so on. Then the heating stage... passing through few plate heat exchangers, shell and tube etc. Then to the pack column, another series of heat exchangers, filters and to a product storage tank (I'm not trying to explain my process here, that's just a brief idea on how I explained the steps and processes to them).

The PID (Piping and Instrumentation Diagram) contains all the piping, valves, actuators, pump, RTD, pressure transmitters, level sensors, flow meters, heat exchangers, vessels, strainers, filters and so on in the plant. I need to really look at it and trace the lines in order to show the flow. Well, my plant is quite big and that is really shown in the complicated PID drawing. That's good... at least it refreshes me when I'm explaining to them.

At several occasions, they asked about this and that.... Some of the questions were easy to answer while some others were surprisingly difficult to answer because I forgot, or I don't know about it. That means, there are still points and stuffs about my plant that I haven't covered yet (that I don't know). They made me realized about it and it made me seek for answers. So, after investigating about it and getting answers, I informed those new engineers and indirectly my comprehension on my own plant became better. Looking the scenario at a different angle, I'm actually revising and learning about my own plant when I teach or explain to others. Isn't that cool? Both parties benefited. They learned new process and engineering knowledge while I established my understanding on my plant.

Conclusion and morale of the story...

Don't keep the technical knowledge to yourself. Share them. The more you share, the more you'll get. The more you share, the better you are. The more you share, the stronger you become.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get Your Dream Offshore Job - Offshore Oil Industry Resume Distribution Service And Employer Services

Labels: , ,

posted by Kipas Repair JB @ 8:21 PM,

4 Comments:

At Friday, June 06, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice. generally senior people wont talk freely with new engineers untill they come to close to them. but you are very good charector.

Sometimes senior people will anger if any new ask basic questions. But u have done a good job. my wishes & thanks to u.

 
At Saturday, June 07, 2008, Blogger Kipas Repair JB said...

I'm just helping them to explore and learn more about the plant. that's all. The more we share, the more we'll get back.

 
At Monday, June 09, 2008, Blogger FB: Hasliza Hj Hashim said...

Yes...sharing is caring. Good job Bro!! :)

 
At Tuesday, June 10, 2008, Blogger Technologist said...

I fully agree with Zaki.
Its seniors resposnibility how they develop their juniors. Its not only beneficial to juniors but to seniors also bcoz I believe that - A Boss is as good as his subordinate - If everyone goes with this philosophy its very easy to build a great community.

I think when you develop someone in your area it ultimately fgoing to pay off to you, your company & your nation.

....And above all Indians say -----Knowledge is the only thing which increased if you distirbute or share.........

My Blog - http://profmaster.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

The Author

zyz

I’m Zaki. I used to be a project, process and chemical engineer. Few years ago I successfully became a Chartered Engineer (IChemE) and Professional Engineer (BEM). I'm now employed as a chemical engineering educator/researcher/consultant. Hope you like reading my blog. I welcome any feedback from you. My email: zaki.yz[alias]gmail.com. TQ!


Learn something about Chem Eng that is not inside your text book.
Enter your email add:
 Subscribe in a reader
follow us in feedly
Join Chem Eng Rocks FB

Get this powerful 80-page ebook on various alternative energy that can save our environment and save your money. On top of that, you'll get a FREE eCourse on alternative energy from me.

First Name:
Email address:

what
job title, keywords
where
city, state, zip